The third staging of the British Demolition Awards, a prestigious celebration of all things demolition, took place on Friday 3 September at the American Express Community Stadium in Brighton.
The ceremony was attended by more than 300 guests, including industry giants such as Keltbray, Erith and Cawarden, a large proportion of all UK-based contractors and global machinery specialists Luigong, McKloskey Equipment and Sliepner. Also in attendance was the National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC) leadership, with Chief Executive Howard Button, President William Crooks and former President, Holly Price.
This year, to coincide with Chambers Media’s launch of Asbestos Hub magazine (sister title to Demolition Hub), a contingent of asbestos contractors and suppliers attended alongside the Asbestos Control and Abatement Division (ACAD). There was one award dedicated to the asbestos abatement industry, the Asbestos Removal Contractor of the Year, which was won by Erith Group. The judges deemed that Erith demonstrated the highest standards of health, safety and project planning while carrying out works in complex and public-facing environments.
A further nine awards were up for grabs on the night. The judging panel was made up of Richard Vann from specialist engineering consultancy RVA Group; Holly Price, Skills and Communities Director for Keltbray and former President of the NFDC; and Paul Argent, renowned demolition and construction journalist who works as Demolition Hub magazine’s Demolition Editor.
Having been apart for so long, a frequent comment was that it was rather strange, but very welcome to be all together once again.
Having been away for two years due to the pandemic, organiser Global News Media Ltd set the date of 3September, put the British Demolition Awards firmly in the industry calendar and made the event a roaring success.
Pictures available via: https://placeimages-davidkennedyphotography.pixieset.com/bda2021/awards/
The ten awards and winner are as follows:
- Demolition Contractor of the Year sponsored by McCloskey Equipment
- Supplier of the Year sponsored by Demolition Hub
- Health and Safety Award sponsored by Fireflux
- Safety Innovation of the Year Innovation of the Year sponsored by Demolition Careers
- Asbestos Removal Contractor of the Year sponsored by Asbestos Hub
- Trainee/Apprentice of the Year sponsored by the National Demolition Training Group
WINNER: Shirrin Travers from Tilley and Barrett
- Waste Provider of the Year sponsored by Coveya
WINNER: O’Donovan Waste and Disposal
- Environmental Innovation of the Year sponsored by Coyle Equipment Services
WINNER: Dragon Equipment
- Demolition Project of the Year sponsored by Total Metal Recycling
WINNER: Tilley and Barrett
- National Federation of Demolition Contractors Award
WINNER: Aaron Davis from Keltbray