DEMOLITION HUB

TRAVELLERS remained at a former Upton industrial site yesterday, despite demolition workers appearing to move onto the plot to build defences to stop future incursions.

Around a dozen caravans and associated vehicles pulled onto the Blandford Road site, the former Upton Oil site, on Friday evening.

The area, set for demolition, had been fenced off at that time, but neighbours believe the travellers simply moved the fencing and drove on.

Yesterday morning Dorset Police attended the scene, where vehicles belonging to a demolition company working on the site stood by.

The company declined to comment to the Echo.

Yesterday, late afternoon, the travellers remained at the one side of the compound and the fencing had been removed by contractors to allow them to leave.

It also appeared some of the traveller vehicles may have left the area, enabling the workmen to move in at one end of the site with a mechanical digger.

A Dorset Council spokesman said: “As the site is private land we would only get involved if the landowner requested us to.

“This has not happened in this case.”

Meanwhile, One neighbour said: “I’ll be glad when they’ve gone, it feels like winning the lottery to be honest.

“I have nothing good to say about them. They leave the site in a right mess and cause problems.”

Another nearby resident, who asked not to be named, said: “They’ve been there all over the weekend, making noise and driving vehicles about.

“No-one would mind if they cleared up after themselves but that just doesn’t happen.”

The former Upton Oil site has been closed, laying empty, for a number of years.

Dorset Police were first called about the travellers at 1am on Saruday.

A police spokesman said: “We were called amid reports of travellers moving onto the site.

“We have been liaising with the site owners and the local authority.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may also like